dog photos

Save Up To 50% On All Your Pet Needs
Shop JakesDogHouse.com
Shop now and get Free Shipping!

Only Natural Pet Store
www.smartpakcanine.com
Petscriptions has a wide variety of discount pet m

Tuesday, July 22, 2008

A Balanced, Happy Dog


Decision making has never been my strength. Just ask my husband, who patiently waits while I hem and haw over whether to order the Veggie Burger or Veggie Chili. So you can imagine how long the decision making process took when we decided to adopt a dog.

I like to do the research before making any life-altering decisions. So when we agreed to add a dog to our family, I had a mission.

In my quest for information, my dad recommended Cesar’s Way: The Natural Everyday Guide to Understanding and Correcting Common Dog Problems by a dog expert named Cesar Milan. Little did I know that Cesar is a nationally recognized dog expert. I loved this book. It helped me understand that humanizing a dog actually harms the dog. I learned that dogs need rules, boundaries and limitations and that invoking these principles helps the dog become balanced. A balanced dog is a happy dog.

Cesar also asserts that dogs need exercise, discipline and affection [in that order] to be balanced. Key to Cesar’s approach is projecting a calm-assertive energy when interacting with your dog. Cesar defines a calm-assertive leader as relaxed, but confident. Cesar’s book really helped me prepare to be a pack leader and consequently Jax is a balanced, happy dog! I highly recommend this book to all dog parents. Get Cesar’s Way at Amazon.com for $11.16.

Labels: , ,

1 Comments:

Blogger Ashley said...

My SO and I watched "The Dog Whisperer" religiously. We love Cesar! My SO has been training his dogs this way and they are absolutely the best dogs! I got a puggle puppy a couple months ago and while I'm having a bit of trouble becoming the "pack leader", my SO is stepping up to the plate for me so that the puppy doesn't learn bad habits from the start. She is learning very quickly! I'm getting better at the calm, assertive energy though. Soon I will be pack leader as well. :)

July 22, 2008 at 9:04 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home

Join Newsletter
Sign up for our Email Newsletter

Attire
Bags
Blankets
Boarding
Books & Magazines
Carriers
Celebrity
Clothing
Couture
Feeding
Food
Furniture
Gifts
Gifts for Owners
Grooming
Harnesses
Health
Jewelry
Memorials
Misc.
Nutrition
Swanky Pups
Tags & Collars
Toys
Training
Travel
Treats
Waste
home chat directory articles reviews rescue/support newsletter swanky pups advertise
© 2007 TheSwankyPup. All Rights Reserved.
website by Posh Daisy